Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 23:58:51 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Allen Lynch <levothyroxine@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: This will replace Linux?

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Allen Lynch wrote:

> I have used Windows 98, BeOS and 5 different distributions of
> Linux. The experience of installing your OS was one of the worst
> of my life, and I am permanently disabled with a severe, chronic,
> bipolar disorder. I told a friend at Caldera that I would kill
> before I'd repeat the experience.
>
> A few lessons:
> 1. Installed means installed - not downloaded, not archived,
> installed.

Yes, it does.  So what, exactly, is your point?

> 2. Copy and paste are viable concepts in any OS.

No, they aren't.  But, I assume that just because you didn't have
cut-paste ability in FreeBSD right out of the box, you made the
incorrect assumption that it can't do it at all.  Try reading some of
that documentation that you reference below.

> 3. RPM is not installed and also mentioned nowhere in "The
> Complete FreeBSD". A little professional jealousy?

RPM isn't used because the RPM system sucks.  FreeBSD has a superior
packaging and ports system, and it uses it.

> 4. If you can't support what you sell, and you obviously can't, go
> wash dishes and do something constructive.

"FreeBSD" doesn't sell anything.  The people who sell you the CDs with
FreeBSD on it are who you should be complaining to if something
doesn't work on the CDs.  If you have a real question to ask, you can
ask it on these mailing lists -- nicely -- because these people, just
like me, don't get paid anything to answer your questions.  We are
just regular FreeBSD users.

> 5. I don't know anyone at FreeBSD and for that I am truly
> grateful.

I'm sure they'd feel the same way.

> 6. Netscape has just informed me that someone is running on my
> desktop, that has never happened with ny other system.

I really don't understand what you just said here.  However, I can
guess that you mean that Communicator popped up a box saying that
you've already got a copy of Communicator running as the same user.
This can happen on any Unix-based OS running Netscape Communicator,
not just FreeBSD.  Try it on Linux sometime, since you have five
different Linux distributions, apparently.

>                                                In total rage,
>                                                Robert Lynch

My best friend has a bipolar disorder, just as you mentioned you have.
You can take medicine for this, you know.  I suggest you do so, before
replying to any of the replies you're going to get (including this
one).

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For IA32 and Alpha architectures. IA64 and PowerPC under development.
   http://www.freebsd.org

   All opinions expressed are mine and not those of my employer.