Date:      Tue, 4 Nov 2014 10:42:21 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Valeri Galtsev" <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:  Postal Notification

On Tue, November 4, 2014 9:54 am, kpneal@pobox.com wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 03, 2014 at 07:06:10PM +0100, Bernt Hansson wrote:
>>

>> On 2014-11-03 17:01, jd1008 wrote:
>> > Is there a way to PREVENT such spam???
>> >

>> Yes. Filter on the messageheader.
>
> Personally, I think the idea of requiring a subscription should be
> shelved until the level of spam exceeds the complaints about it. We
> see far more anti-spam complaints than actual spam on this list.

I would say, your criterion will be never met as for each spam message
there will be at least one complaint (it is just a statistics plus human
nature).

Just to add to consideration: if someone wants to ask something on the
list (thus expecting some effort from others - to read and reply the
question), it will not be too much to expect that that person at least
puts some rather minimal effort to subscribe to the list (I would say,
"confirm" is enough, no need to "approve' by list admin - those familiar
with mailman know what I mean). And unsubscribe later if necessary.

Also, I would suggest: change "reply-to:" in the list setting to have
replies go to the list (majority of lists do so as people more often hit
just "reply", not "reply all" thus the list is loosing messages in the
thread).

Just my $0.02

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev