Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 2003 10:08:50 -0500
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wi0 has status "no carrier"

On 21 Mar 2003 at 13:49, Bruce M Simpson wrote:

> Also, I would suggest that you look at wicontrol(8) output to see what's
> going on with the card; the ifmedia interface doesn't report everything
> that's going on. Check what your *port mode* is set to; it should be 1
> for adhoc, 3 for using an access point, 7 for monitor mode.

Port mode == Port type?

Mine has port type = 1.  And wicontrol claims that 1=BSS, 3=ad-hoc

Here is the wicontrol output.

Station name:                           [ FreeBSD WaveLAN/IEEE node ]
SSID for IBSS creation:                 [ test ]
Current netname (SSID):                 [ test ]
Desired netname (SSID):                 [ test ]
Current BSSID:                          [ 44:44:44:44:44:44 ]
Channel list:                           [ 2047 ]
IBSS channel:                           [ 10 ]
Current channel:                        [ 10 ]
Comms quality/signal/noise:             [ 0 27 27 ]
Promiscuous mode:                       [ Off ]
Process 802.11b Frame:                  [ Off ]
Intersil-Prism2 based card:             [ 0 ]
Port type (1=BSS, 3=ad-hoc):            [ 1 ]
TX rate (selection):                    [ 3 ]
TX rate (actual speed):                 [ 2 ]
RTS/CTS handshake threshold:            [ 2347 ]
Create IBSS:                            [ Off ]
Access point density:                   [ 1 ]
Power Mgmt (1=on, 0=off):               [ 0 ]
Max sleep time:                         [ 100 ]
WEP encryption:                         [ Off ]
TX encryption key:                      [ 1 ]
Encryption keys:                        [  ][  ][  ][  ]

> Some prism2dump/dstumbler investigation might not hurt either, say with
> another card or box, then you can at least observe what management PDUs
> are going out over the RF, if communication with the access point is
> the real problem.

I have two wireless cards, and I'm running dstumbler on a desktop box
which has both a wired NIC and a PCI interface for a PCMCIA card.
I'm not seeing any traffic.  I run "dstumbler wi0 -n" and I'm not
seeing any output at all.

cheers
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/