Date:      Fri, 6 Jul 2001 17:14:58 -0400
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        Adam Nealis <adamnealis@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4.1.0_4 and fonts

on Jul 06 16:43, i got this from Adam...

> I'm on 'BSD 4.3-RELEASE, and I tested my new ADSL link by
> downloading and installing the current XFree86 sources - 4.1.0_4.
> These are the error messages recorded in /var/log/XFree86.0.log:
>
> Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/, \
> removing from list!
> Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/, \
> removing from list!
> Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/URW/, \
> removing from list!
> Could not init font path element /usr/local/AbiSuite/fonts, \
> removing from list!

this implies that you have those font directories in your "FontPath"
in "XF86Config" file, but directories don't actually exist. that or, you
don't have "fonts.dir" of in those directories.

> I have fonts.dir and fonts.scale files (confusingly called
> "directories"). The mkfontdir man page and README.fonts ramble
> on about using the -e flag but these docs do not make sense to
> me.

before you try again, just make sure that directory names are correct,
and 'fonts.dir' has non-zero size. i have never tried using -e option.

> for example, README.font says:
>
> $ cd /usr/local/share/fonts/Type1
> $ mkfontdir -e /usr/X11R6/lib/font/encodings
>
> which I dutifully did, only to create a file of exactly 0 bytes
> called /usr/X11R6/lib/font/encodings/fonts.dir

mkfontdir doesn't exactly work w/ type1 and tt fonts as you noticed.

you may wan to try ttmkfdir in /usr/ports/x11-fonts/ttmkfdir for
truetype fonts, and type1inst in /usr/ports/x11-fonts/p5-type1inst for
type 1 ps fonts.

i hope if i am wrong, somebody will correct me.

--
 so, do you like word games or scrabble?
	 - parv