Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 16:15:34 +0000
From:      Joseph Mallett <jmallett@NewGold.NET>
To:        Charlie Root <root@twwells.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Should URL's be pervasive.

What strikes me in this thread is that a lot of people are stupid and lazy
and want FreeBSD's kernel (or libc) to do stupid things with URLs the same
way you can throw a URL anywhere in Windows and have it mean something.

Here's some news for you: It shouldn't, and probably won't, happen.

If you really want something that insane and obscene and that much of a
bastardisation of EVERYTHING networking-related, check in with the BASH
people and do it on the shell level.

If you're really lazy and want to be able to do:
	telnet smtp://localhost
I suggest you look into this relatively new invention called
'/etc/services' and read some manual pages. You'll find you can do
something quite similar, and much saner.

/joseph