Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 1996 21:52:32 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        durian@plutotech.com (Mike Durian)
Cc:        se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser), freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: small bugs in pci code

Mike Durian writes:

>   You are absolutely right.  For some reason mine was set to 0x34.
> I have no explaination for this.  Either we made the change locally
> (and I have no idea why), or it was in the FreeBSD source tree at
> one point and we missed picking up the change during one of our
> imports.

Well, I'm sure it never was set to anything but 0x28 as the
address of the first register beyond the map registers.
(I even checked the CVS file ...)

>   As for the ROM on the adaptec being enabled, I'm not sure what to do
> about that.  Isn't that a BIOS issue?  I mean, shouldn't the BIOS have
> disabled it?

It was disabled, but as part of the map information retrieval
a value of 0xffffffff gets written to that register, which will
enable the expansion ROM decode.

But it was a false alarm anyway: The code will restore the old
value of each map register at the end of the probe, and it will
disbale the ROM at that point again.

Regards, STefan