Date:      Wed, 05 Aug 1998 00:30:28 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?=), current@FreeBSD.ORG, mike@smith.net.au
Subject:   Re: Etherlink XL driver

[Directed just to -current, sparing -hackers from the evils of crossposting]

> Putting code in -current when you know there's something wrong with it
> is just... well, wrong. And I know there's at least one bug in the XL
> driver. I knew there were two until tonight, but I just fixed one.

Just to chime in here a bit - this is both true and not true.  If
something is truly a WIP and there's just no reason to release it
prematurely, then everything you say above is true.  If, however,
putting it in -current will significantly increase its exposure to
testers (and, incidently, get it into the SNAPshot releases for folks
wishing to install using some piece of hardware which would be
facilitated thusly) then it's a good idea.

So just use your best judgement, folks - there are no hard and fast
rules as far as this is concerned.

- Jordan