Date:      Tue, 22 Feb 2000 21:11:10 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compaq Proliant 6500

John.Hubbard@Gunter.AF.mil wrote:

>   I've posted to 'questions' a couple of times and they directed me over
> here.  I'm trying to get SMP properly running on my Proliant 6500.
>   I started with SmartStart, chose 'Other' and didn't install a system
> partition.  Then I install 3.4-RELEASE.  Running mptable gives me the
> following:
>
>         NCPU=2
>         NAPIC=1
>         NBUS=3
>         NINTR=49

	HRrrmmmm... that brings up an interesting question. I have an SMP box on
which I ran mptable, and got the following at the end:

# SMP kernel config file options:

# Required:
options         SMP                     # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
options         APIC_IO                 # Symmetric (APIC) I/O

# Optional (built-in defaults will work in most cases):
#options                NCPU=2                  # number of CPUs
#options                NBUS=2                  # number of busses
#options                NAPIC=1                 # number of IO APICs
#options                NINTR=24                # number of INTs

	The only thing different in that list from the commented out defaults in
GENERIC is NBUS. Do I gain anything by explicitly setting NBUS=2 in my
kernel config, as opposed to just allowing it to use the default 4? I would
think that if I had more busses than 4 that this would be significant, but
I'm always interested in learning new things. :)

	BTW, took a look at the -dmesg option and it seems to me that it would be
better to use /var/run/dmesg.boot since just using 'system( "dmesg" );' can
include lots of non-boot related info, and might not actually include the
boot info if there have been a lot of kernel messages. I can do a patch if
anyone is interested....

Thanks,

Doug
--
"Welcome to the desert of the real."

    - Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, "The Matrix"