Date:      Sun, 26 Sep 1999 03:00:48 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filtering port 25 (was Re: On hub.freebsd.org refusing to   talk to dialups)

Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

>> I have no objection to web caches, no. I *do* have an objection to
>> having all traffic out of my machine *forced* to go through the ISP's
>> web cache. If I want to use it, I know how to configure my software to
>> use it (and I do use it), I don't need the ISP doing that for me.
>
> They already are, and you don't even know it.  It may be at a major
> provider near you soon too.

I'm pretty sure it won't be at my ISP.

>> I suppose you configure your web servers to deny all requests from dial
>> up hosts. If not, why not? After all, under your policy all users should
>> be using their ISP's web cache.
>
> You've twisted it a bit far.  Nothing in our policy says what another ISP's
> users can do, only what our customers can do.

So why do you stop other ISP's dialup users from sending mail direct to your
incoming SMTP servers?

> SMTP deserves very special attention due to the fact that the number 1
> complaint of users of the internet is *SPAM*.  SPAM is propogated via
> smtp.  Do I need to say more?  I can if I do.

What about NNTP? I think quite a bit of Usenet spam (and rogue cancels,
and other crap on Usenet) are injected through open news servers,
not necessarily those of the abuser's ISP. This would cause problems
if customers wanted to use an external news service like Giganews or
Altopia though, so I guess it's not as simple as "block all NNTP to
remote sites".

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and