Date:      Mon, 7 Oct 1996 18:34:03 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      "Kaj J. Niemi" <kajtzu@final.dystopia.fi>
To:        erik@il.ft.HSE.NL, questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jos.Vissers@telebyte.NL, questions@freebsd.org, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User name length limit increase

>  Almost there, but not quite. You grab the sources (ALL of them), edit
> UT_NAMESIZE in .../include/utmp.h and rebuild everything. After the
> installation you might want to remove /var/run/utmp (i think) and
> reboot. Remember that xterm probably will also need recompiling! So will
> anything else that even looks at the utmp! That's because changing UT_*
> changes sizeof(struct utmp) and sizeof(struct lastlog) which is kinda
> important.

	Even though this _is_ technically possible a lot of programs will go
	FUBAR faster than you can say "OOPS" when doing the things mentioned
	above - ie. I wouldn't advise you (anybody for that matter) unless
	you're _very_ sure of what you're doing and have a deathwish... :-)

just my .02,
--
  Kaj - kajtzu@iug.org - Pager 04800-30565 - http://www.iug.org/~kajtzu/
   "Hey, I need a ride to the morgue.. but that's what E-911 is for!"