Date:      Mon, 1 May 1995 21:27:05 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        julian@freefall.cdrom.com (Julian Elischer), hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: policy with sources imported..

> I did notice a distinct lack of portability for things like tcsh
> and telnetd, though; I would think it would be a goal to make sure
> that the code didn't get "deportablized" as it was imported

I don't think that's a worthy goal.  I think it's more important to make
sure that the sources are readable and maintainable on the BSD box that
it's used for than to shoot for spaghetti code full of #ifdefs which
make it compile under every other OS.

>-- I
> was really suprised at some of the things that wouldn't build for SunOS.

After using Ultrix for years, and then FreeBSD, I find that it is
difficult to compile code for SunOS simply because the stock compiler
doesn't support prototypes, and when you use something like gcc which
does support prototypes there are *way* too many missing and/or bogus
prototypes.

I'm trying to do C++ development on my SunOS box, and I'm having a heck
of a time getting things to work because everything under the Sun (gag)
is screwed up.  I could use a really old version of Lucid-C which
provides prototyped include files, but it's fairly buggy so I'm trying
to stick with gcc.

Nate