Date:      Wed, 21 Dec 2011 23:16:25 +1000
From:      Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Atheros 9285 - not operating?

This is getting less and less funny as I get deeper in this. I tried a
lower end model of the same laptop with 8.1 and 8.2 and completely
failed to get the atheros 9285 to work (although I did have partial
success building from head (9) on 8.1. Wouldn't work after that.

Along came 9.0-RC3 and I thought I had it made: the bsdinstall setup the
card on a new laptop with wpa and all. After some days of work, left the
unit alone for a while and the network went down. Error was "bb hang
detected (0x4) resetting.

Tried a few things to get it to work, and failed. Rebooted, and still
nothing.

Firstly, when I first set it up I set it standalone. After the install
I've setup lagg failover (done that many times before). I plug in UTP
and it comes good, dhcp an address and ping- good, unplug and ping- no good.

ifconfig wlan0 scan shows my bssid and others in the area. The others
are on different channels with six degrees separation.

This is not the only unit with this to happen either. The problem is
identical on another brand of laptop with this card installed using 9.0-RC3.

Dmesg does not show any error that could be responsible. It only show
the inital detection of the hardware, although one message shows up
right after detection that may be of note: [ath] AR9285E_20 detected;
using XE TX gain tables.

The only thing I can conclude with the circumstances of the error (in
both units) is that the card is timing out somehow and not waking up
properly. I can't see any sysctl setting that would change this though.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers