Date:      Sun, 26 Nov 2000 18:08:36 -0200
From:      Sergio Macedo <macedo@tmp.com.br>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Vmware2 on 4.1-RELEASE

	Greetings.

	I'm trying to run vmware2 on a box but just get the following at
the command line:

yamato::macedo[110]: vmware
<vmware starts and I'm able to configure a virtual machine>
<I want to use my original Windows partition as guest OS, so I set /dev/hda
as disk and R/W access for it on the correspondent windows>
<VMware goes to the "power on" screen. When I click "Power on" I get the crash>
Abort trap
yamato::macedo[111]:
In the /var/log/messages:
Nov 26 17:23:11 yamato /kernel: /dev/vmmon: ALLOW_CORE_DUMP called
Nov 26 17:23:11 yamato /kernel: /dev/vmmon: ALLOW_CORE_DUMP called
Nov 26 17:23:11 yamato /kernel: pid 6929 (vmware), uid 1000: exited on signal 6
Nov 26 17:23:11 yamato /kernel: /dev/vmmon: Vmx86_DestroyVM: unlocked pages: 0, unlocked dirty pages: 0

I believe the problem is in the physical disk handling functions because
if I set it up to use a virtual disk, I'm at least able to boot the virtual
machine with a W95 floppy. However, the floppy doesn't finish the boot.
It gets frozen just after the Windows copyright message....

Here are some data about my box and the vmware port I'm using:
	Physical Mem: 96Mb
	Hard Disk: IDE 4Gb
	OS & ports: 4.1-RELEASE
		linux_base-6.1
		rtc-2000-05-05
		vmware2-2.0.1.570
		vmmon-freebsd-0.95.1.tar.gz
		vmnet-freebsd-0.11.tar.gz

	I found some messages reporting flawless installing and running under
4.1-STABLE and 4.2-BETA... Would my only option to upgrade my system? Or
was anyone else able to run vmware2 on 4.1-RELEASE?

	Thanks in advance for any advice.

--
TMP Consultoria		   Sergio Macedo
TEL (21) 556-3791        <macedo@tmp.com.br>

- "Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good."