Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 2003 18:28:53 +0100
From:      Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Gnome <freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: gnome-panel hangs on logout

Hello,

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 09:49, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> On 18 Sep 2003 07:59:08 +0200
> sebastian ssmoller <sebastian.ssmoller@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > i am running fbsd 5.1 release and gnome 2.2 with gnome-panel 2.2.2.2_1.
> > each time i try to logout the gnome panel hangs. i searched the mail
> > archives but found nothing about it. i wonder if i am the only one
> > having these problems ?
>
> What do you mean with "it hangs"? The problem I sometimes have: I press
> the logout button I've added to the panel, confirm the logout and it
> doesn't logs out. Usually I have at least one xterm open at this time,
> so I move the mouse over the xterm, sawfish changes the window focus to
> it and the logout proceeds. Do you talk about this behavior when you say
> "it hangs"?

What he is referring to, is the fact that with Gnome-2.x, clicking
"Actions" > "Logout" produces the following:

The desktop dims somewhat (which is normal)
The confirmation dialogue box appears
You click on "Yes"
System freezes for 5 - 10 minutes
Shutdown proceeds as normal

I have this on FreeBSD-4.9 Pre SMP boxes as well.

What I often get, for good measure, is the systems hang / freeze
*before* the logout confirmation dialogue box appears. After the delay,
the box appears, you click "Yes", the logout proceeds as normal.

I raised this issue months ago, back at 2.0, or thereabouts. Both
systems are running Gnome-2.x with default Metacity / settings.

Got no answer to my post.., left it at that.

Regards,

Stacey

--
Stacey Roberts