Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 02:49:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Russo Roberto <atm_roberto@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   (FreeBSD TCP) vs (Linux TCP)

  Hi,

 I am working to evaluate performance of
 throughput between two PC connected between
 a Fore-ATM card adapter to a network:
 the netwotk is composed of a PVC of 4Mbps between
 three routers and I am just looking to use
 differente queuing discipline like FIFO-PQ-WFQ.

 I have configured the two PC with the same Operating
 Systems: a Linux (Red-Hat) and a FreeBSD v4.3 (Kame
 Patch) and I am using  NETPERF to make throughput
 test.

 Making the first tests I note a difference beetwen
 using the two FreeBSD or the two LINUX:

 [1]
 for example when using FreeBSD-FIFO and make
 a default TCP_STREAM Netperf with the deafult
 values of SendSocketSize and ReceiverSocketSize
 (16.000) the value of througput is lower (<2Mbps)
 than the 3.5Mpbs that I have configured in the PVC;

 however making the same test with the values of
 SendSocketSize and ReceiverSocketSize of 128000
 the test is good and I have the value of 3.45Mbps

 using Linux-FIFO and make a default TCP_STREAM
 with the deafult values of SendSocketSize
 and ReceiverSocketSize (16.000) the value of
 througput is of 3.5Mpbs.

 [2]
 using other queuing discipline I have always
 to change in FreeBSD the values of
 SendSocketSize and ReceiverSocketSize to have
 values that seems the real condition of the
 network; using Linux the values is always correct
 without changing the values of the Sockets.

 - anybody can help me to resolve this problem ?
   Is the TCP/IP stacks of the two systems very
   differents ? What is different ?
   Why the Linux seems have the best performances ?

 - Where I can find some documents that describe
   the TCP stacks of the two systems ?

    really Thanks...!!!!!

 Roberto