Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 11:37:48 -0600 (CST)
From:      James Nuckolls <jamesn@iadfw.net>
To:        helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, jamesn@iadfw.net
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/libexec/telnetd telnetd.c

[I moved this to current, where it's closer to being on topic...]

In mailinglist.freebsd.cvs, you wrote:
>> >I think this should be fixed, since some people want to use 8 bit
>> >characters during telnet sessions.
>>
>> `telnet -8' causes telnetd to send "DO BINARY".
>
>Right. And it works with telnetd 1.12.
>
>But still: telnetd should start negotiating the 8 bit data path as
>it did before revision 1.12. I hate to lose this feature in favour
>of a workaround for a deficiency in Microsoft's telnet.

Sounds like a re-read of both the commit message AND both PRs are
in order:

PR:           bin/771 and bin/1037 are resolved by this change This
 change changes the default handling of linemode so that older and/or
 stupider telnet clients can still get wakeup characters like <ESC>
 and <CTRL>D to work correctly multiple times on the same line, as
 in csh "set filec" operations.   It also causes CR and LF characters
 to be read by apps in certain terminal modes consistently, as
 opposed to returning CR sometimes and LF sometimes, which broke
 existing apps.  The change was shown to fix the problem demonstrated
 in the FreeBSD telnet client, along with the telnet client in
 Solaris, SCO, Windows '95 & NT, DEC OSF, NCSA, and others.

 A similar change will be incorporated in the crypto version of telnetd.

 This resolves bin/771 and bin/1037.

[I'll spare you the PRs... I'm sure you know where to find them]

Notice the fragment "[the] change was shown to fix the problem
demonstrated in the FreeBSD telnet client..."  I'm not sure, but
I don't think there's much Microsoft code in the FreeBSD telnet
client ;>.

I'm sure there's a much better fix, as Frank admits in the PRs.