Date:      Wed, 4 Jan 1995 05:55:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        mtaylor@gateway.cybernet.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Bad sectors on SCSI drive!

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:

> > Allright, so what can be done?  How can I map out bad sectors on a scsi
> > drive?  Do I have to newfs the drive?
>
> Return it to the manufacturer.  A good SCSI drive shouldn't develop faults
> like this, and when it does, it's time to shoot it.

If you can't return the drive:

I don't think Jordan's statement is universally true.  Mode page
1 for a direct access device has a "AWRE" (automatic write
reallocation) and "ARRE" (automatic read reallocation) selections
that can be turned on and off.

I'm not sure why these would be turned off.

Also the spec reads that the automatic reallocation will be performed
only if the target has the valid data.  Maybe on some drives there
are circumstances where that can happen.

If you're running -current you can apply the patches in
freefall:pub/incoming/sutar7.gz , rebuild the kernel and run the
"ssec" command to slip the sectors by block number and the "mode_sense"
command to see what the mode page settings are.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936