Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 1996 16:38:25 -0500
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        erich@lodgenet.com (Eric L. Hernes), ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Interest in a linux_crossdev port?

Michael Smith writes:

>No, the idea was just to cop out^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hhave you coordinate the
>_lib and _devel ports.  I would be very much inclined to leave the .a
>files out of the _lib port.

Yea, I've thought about that a lot in the last couple days.  How
do you say ``I want to cop out on this one'' without sounding lazy? ;-) ;-)
I don't think it can be done.  Oh, well it looks like this is
just gonna be another one I've gotten myself roped into. ;-)

I've got a linux_lib-2.1.tgz in ~erich on freefall, I don't know if I'll
have time to commit the port upgrade before next week.  I'd appreciate
it if someone could give it the once-over.  For now, just extract it to
/compat/linux (or symlink it to there). Here's the highlights:

Virtually all libraries from RedHat 4.0.

ldd, ldconfig are branded `Linux'

 I've seen the following programs run:

	Xnest ELF (dynamic)
	xterm ELF (dynamic)
	bash ELF (dynamic)
	ldd ELF (static, branded)
	ldconfig ELF (static, branded)
	abuse a.out (ZMAGIC)
	quake ELF (dynamic)
	xtoolwait ELF (dynamic)
	aumix ELF (dynamic) runs, but not sound ioctls don't work
	pine-3.91 a.out (ZMAGIC)
	ls a.out (ZMAGIC)
	zsh a.out (ZMAGIC)
	acrobat reader 3.0b12 ELF (dynamic)
	linux JDK 1.02pl1 ELF (dynamic) only tested appletviewer,
				        others should work

 a.out OMAGIC and QMAGIC don't seem to work.

 bin/bash for a linux shell that'll default to linux bins.

It'll be next week before I get to the _devel stuff :(

>OK.  If you're working with RedHat as a base (and this may well be better;
>I know next to nothing about the Linux developer world), then I'll leave
>this in your capable hands for now.  If there is anything I can do to help,
>let me know.

I haven't got a clue on the linux releases either.  It just seemed that
redhat had a more complete set of libs than slackware, (but that could have
just been an optional delusion too)  I'll see what I can come up with
for the compiler and friends.  I think gmake would be a good addition
so that we've got a make that defaults to /compat/linux for stuff too.
anything else?

>--
>]] Mike Smith, Software Engineer        msmith@gsoft.com.au.au          [[
>]] Genesis Software                     genesis@gsoft.com.au            [[
>]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile)     0411-222-496   [[
>]] realtime instrument control.         (ph)          +61-8-8267-3493   [[
>]] Unix hardware collector.             "Where are your PEZ?" The Tick  [[

eric.

--
erich@lodgenet.com
http://rrnet.com/~erich erich@rrnet.com