Date:      Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:21:13 +0000
From:      freebsduser@comcast.net
To:        Joerg Pulz <Joerg.Pulz@frm2.tum.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help Samba3 seems broke for me...

> >> when I went to Samba3.0.11 everything in Samba went to pot, IMO.

> >> samba-3.0.5.tar.gz.

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> first, you could check out an earlier version of the ports tree.
> >> Thu Jul 22 14:38:05 2004 UTC was the exact time, the 3.0.5 went into
> >> ports.
> >>
> >> But!!
> >>
> >> why don't you tell us, what exactly is not working or bad with
> >> samba-3.0.11? it would be much better to fix the bug's or solve the
> >> problems you are expiriencing instead of going back to an old version and
> >> getting back all the bad bugs which are fixed in 3.0.11.
> >>

> >> awaiting your detailed problem report for 3.0.11
> >> Joerg
> > Joerg,
> > I'll have to compile it. When I get that done I'll list what ever issue(s) I
> am having.
> > Since I have two machines, and I was thinking the second one was being
> tempermental that's when I decided to take the first computer and also put
> 3.0.11 on and had the same problem (I'll list the problem(s) I'm having when I
> get it finished and set up as per
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/FastStart.html#id2464
> 512 )
> > While I'm compiling 3.0.11 on one system, what would I need to do to get 3.0.5
> back on the other? I found portdowngrade but I've never used cvs before and
> tried going through the tutorials but they seem rather cryptic, or perhaps
> lacking because a few years back I remember them being a bit more user friendly
> ( http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/anoncvs.html )
> > Thanks for your assistance.
>
> okay, a very short description...
> as i'am in germany i use the german CVS mirror.
>
> prompt> touch ~/.cvspass
> prompt> cd /usr/ports/net
> prompt> rm -r samba3
> prompt> cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.de.freebsd.org:/home/ncvs login
>
> - --> Now the you are asked for a password, please type: anoncvs
>
> prompt> cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.de.freebsd.org:/home/ncvs co \
> - -D"Thu Jul 22 14:38:05 2004 UTC" samba3
>
> thats all. now the samba3 port is at version 3.0.5 and you should be able
> to build and install it.
>
> Joerg
>
> - --
> The beginning is the most important part of the work.
> -Plato
I am following the How To from this URL: http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/FastStart.html#id2464512
Here are some things that I've noticed:
 Group names appear all lower-case:
 getent missing, I am pretty sure that it can be found in Fedora Core 3 and also SuSe. The thing has always been missing in FreeBSD and the Samba3 docs may need updating.
 Created a usermap file but it doesn't appear to honor it:
  username map = /usr/local/etc/username.map
   <FreeBSDUserName>=<WindowsUserName>
 Inside mapped username directory on FreeBSD by way of XP browsing access is denied in creating anything.
 Inside mapped user's directory on FreeBSD via XP and when deleting something it goes away but then a refresh on XP window and the item returns. No access denied message is thrown.
 I don't know if I did it or Samba did it but in the /etc/passwd there are user names within the range of idmap uid/gid (This is on Samba 3.0.5) but on the Samba 3.0.11 no user names have been changed (they sill have the FreeBSD assigned Ids).
   idmap uid = 15000-20000
   idmap gid = 15000-20000
 in passwd;
 nagios:*:15035:15030::0:0:Nagios pseudo-user:/var/spool/nagios:/nonexistent
 Separator has changed from a '+' to a '\' (Wish somebody would stop doing that, heck on a SuSe Machine, it once was an 'm' that one baffled me.) Unless of course I'm thinking of something else, but still why did it go from TEL+ to TEL\?
  Samba 3.0.5 wbinfo -g reports:
   TEL+Exchange Domain Servers
  Samba 3.0.11 wbinfo -g reports:
   TEL\exchange domain servers
Oh, and most importantly... Thanks for helping with that CVS thing. Worked great. My working system allows me to do the things I do while the 3.0.11 just drives me nutso. I'm thinking of trying 3.0.5 on the other system to see if it is behaving. But not just yet.
uname -a reports (holding off upgrading the world for the moment):
FreeBSD oracle.internal.qualmax.net 5.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #0: Fri Nov  5 04:19:18 UTC 2004     root@harlow.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

Here's my smb.conf (System is acting as a domain member) for 3.0.11
[global]
   workgroup = INTERNAL
   netbios name = ORACLE
   server string = %h server (Samba %v)
   security = DOMAIN
   username map = /usr/local/etc/username.map
   load printers = yes
   printcap name = cups
   printing = cups
   show add printer wizard = No
   idmap uid = 15000-20000
   idmap gid = 15000-20000
   winbind use default domain = Yes
   use sendfile = Yes
   log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
   max log size = 50
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   dns proxy = no
#============================ Share Definitions ==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes
# NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes

Want to link to this message? Use this URL: <https://mail-archive.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?031120052021.27086.4231FDB9000579A7000069CE22069984999C0201079B010307020E>