Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 23:09:19 +0200
From:      "Simon Siemonsma" <simon196405@bigfoot.com>
To:        <kstewart@urx.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sound cart: Trust sound expert 128 PCI

Yes, I did.
I tried snd0 as well as snd1. It didn't work.
According to section 14.4 of the handbook you have to run: cat /dev/sndstat
to check if it is snd0 or snd1.
This gave me the message: "Device not configured"
The boot up messages report two unknown cards:
pcio: <unknown card> (vendor = 0xe159, dev = 0x0001) at 14.0 irq 11
pcio: <unknown card> (vendor = 0x12eb, dev = 0x0001) at 16.0 irq 5.
The latter is the sound card I suppose.

I repeat my orignal message in plain text:

I don't succeed in building a kernel which detects my TRUST Sound Expert 128
PCI properly.
It detects an unknown PCI card.

I added the following sentence to the kernel configuration file:
                            device     pcm (as it is a PCI/PnP card)

Checking things in W'2000, I found the following drivers:
                            Aureal Vortex-gameport
                            Areal Vorex 8820 Audio (WDM)
                            Vortex multifunction PCI parent
                            Audiocodecs
                            Legacy audiostuurprogramma's

So it seems to have something to do with Aureal Vortex, which is supported
according to the handbook.
So why doesn't it work.
I hope someone can help me.

The specifications of the sound card are are:
    Synthesizer:     64 Voices
                           General MIDE 1.0
                           SoundBlaster Pro I and Adlib emulation.
                           OPL2 FM software emulation
    Digital Audio:    CD quality stereo sound. Recording quality of up to
48KHz possible.
                           Simultaneous recording and playing.
    MIDI                Roland MPU-401 compatible.
    BUS:               PCI 2.1 Compliant
    Input ports:      Microphone
                          Line
                          CD-Audio
                          AUX
                          Voice modem audio
    Output ports:   Line out
                          Speaker out
    Support:          Direct Sound (Direct X) support
                          Positional 3D sound (DirectSound 3D)