Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 2004 09:14:15 +0200
From:      Nelis Lamprecht <nlamprecht@gmail.com>
To:        Jeff Hobson <jhobson@kc.rr.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Installation problem/question -- duplicate sent to support@freebsdmall

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 23:05:06 -0600, Jeff Hobson <jhobson@kc.rr.com> wrote:
> I have a machine running win 2000. I want to completely convert the machi=
ne to FreeBSD (not run anything else), I boot from the 5.2 cd and choose us=
e all the disk and choose automatic to have the system decide what to place=
 where. I creates the necessary partitions/filesystems (/, var,swap and /us=
r) on what I assume to be the 4 windows partitions already existing. It the=
n proceeds to install the system and I answer all the questions and the dis=
k flashes and the cdrom blinks for about an hour. It finally finishes and r=
eturns to the sysinstall screen. I exit and it says it will now reboot. It =
does. INTO THE WINDOWS 2000 SYSTEM!. I took a look at the disks and there i=
s not a trace of the FreeBSD filestructure or files. ANYWHERE!!. I am very =
puzzled. It looked like all was going just fine. but for some reason, the f=
ilesystem was written to some other planet or the installation aborted and =
restored all the previous filesystem (there was no message to indicate that=
 happened). I am, what I consider, a very experienced computer systems anal=
yst. Up until this time, I have never seen this happen with any install bef=
ore. I am sure that I have done/overlooked some critical step that somehow =
bypassed the system install and never made the machine into the FreeBSD box=
 I wanted.
>=20
> Any ideas? Any further information I can provide to investigate this? Tha=
nk you for your help and attention.
>=20

Very odd. If you run fdisk on Windows2000 do you not see a non-dos
partition anywhere where perhaps FreeBSD was installed ? Did you
remember to set your partition as bootable  by FreeBSD when you
selected to use all disk space ? You could always try using fdisk to
delete any/all partitions first then install FreeBSD.

Good luck.

Nelis