Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 13:38:02 +0200
From:      "R.I.Pienaar" <rip@pinetec.co.za>
To:        James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
Cc:        David Lawson <dave@siteone.net>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, "Jonathan M. Slivko" <jon_slivko@simphost.com>
Subject:   Re: Email Monitoring

hi,

doing this is pretty easy if you use exim as a mail server, I have written
antivirus software that intercepts mail being sent in and routed through the
server, you can do pretty much anything with mail in this fashion, it does add
a bit of overhead (each mail gets handled twice and calls the script) but if
your code is well optimised it doesnt have a huge impact, how much mail goes
through your clients machines?

On Thu Nov 30, 2000 at 10:54:08PM -0600, James Wyatt wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Nov 2000, David Lawson wrote:
> > My client wants to intercept his employees email traffic for monitoring and
> > auditing. He wants to make sure the email is not being used for personal use
> > and he also wants to make sure that his employees are not making promises to
> > customers that they can't keep. I'm not sure what type of business it is but
> > they exchange allot of sensitive material.
>
> Then ensure they talk to their counsel about a document retention policy
> and set expiration dates. While I can't say I have a customer doing this
> via a holding queue and some scripting, it doesn't mean I don't. (^_^) The
> amount of data this can generate can be considerable, but it is a great
> way to search attachments when you hear of a new virus and you can make
> daily nuggets as gzipped-tarballs with a script that will also delete them
> after 30-90 days. But we digress from FreeBSD - Jy@

R.I. Pienaar  rip@pinetec.co.za

          "Let us gather hallucinations from our private minds
              Let us witness the reincarnation of the Sun"