Date:      Fri, 7 Sep 2001 07:45:14 -0400
From:      Neill Robins <freebsd@nc.rr.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NASA's Operating System?

Thursday, September 06, 2001, 10:43:55 PM, David Kelly wrote:

DK> Giorgos Keramidas writes:
>>
>> This is a reference to the story I had read somewhere about US Navy
>> migrating ship-control systems to NT.  I seem to have failed locating
>> the URL again, but if I find it, it'll be posted here :-P

DK> First hit Yahoo! turned up on "+navy +nt +ship +towed"
DK> http://www.info-sec.com/OSsec/OSsec_080498g_j.shtml

DK> In all fairness to NT the failure was in the Navy's software and not
DK> Microsoft's. Then again some claim an advantage of Windows is the
DK> ability to use personnel of lower skills. And some believe "garbage in,
DK> garbage out."

Did anyone read this part?

------
But "the Yorktown's failure in September 1997 was not as simple as
reported," DiGiorgio said.

"If you understand computers, you know that a computer normally is
immune to the character of the data it processes," he wrote in the
June U.S. Naval Institute's Proceedings Magazine. "Your $2.95
calculator, for example, gives you a zero when you try to divide a
number by zero, and does not stop executing the next set of
instructions. It seems that the computers on the Yorktown were not
designed to tolerate such a simple failure."
------
Maybe I have just totally missed something, but none of my calculators
or programs will 'skip' over a divide by zero....

--
-Neill
 freebsd@nc.rr.com