Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2011 20:09:47 -0000
From:      "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: getpeername returning ENOTCONN for a connected socket

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
> Now given no previous errors from either connect, send or recv
> if the connection has been terminated by the other end, which
> tcpdump shows its has (RST), I would expect to get ECONNRESET
> from getpeername and not ENOTCONN.
>
> The only case I would expect ENOTCONN is if either no connect
> call had been made or if it was unsuccessful.
>
> Am I missing something here, is ENOTCONN and expected result
> from a previously connected socket with no other indication
> of error?

After doing some more digging the issue may be in
sys/kern/uipc_syscalls.c: kern_getpeername where it checks against
so_state for SS_ISCONNECTED which can of course be true if the
socket was never connected as well as if the socket has been reset
by the peer.

Should the following code:
    if ((so->so_state & (SS_ISCONNECTED|SS_ISCONFIRMING)) == 0) {
        error = ENOTCONN;
        goto done;
    }
become something like:
    if ((so->so_state & (SS_ISCONNECTED|SS_ISCONFIRMING)) == 0) {
        if ((so->so_state & SS_ISDISCONNECTED) == 0) {
            error = ECONNRESET;
        } else {
            error = ENOTCONN;
        }
        goto done;
    }
This would obviously report ECONNRESET for shutdown sockets as
well as sockets reset by the peer, but I cant see an easy way to
distinguish between these two cases without adding a new state
value specifically for reset.

    Regards
    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster@multiplay.co.uk.