Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 12:10:25 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net>, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>, Dallas De Atley <deatley@apple.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: __P macro question

Terry Lambert wrote:
> Garrett Rooney wrote:
> > distributing source code is not the same as maintaining it.  the
> > section you're refering to is:
> >
> > "Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
> > years,
> [ ... ]
> > this doesn't say anything other than you have to provide the source
> > code.  i fail to see how you get 'maintain' from this.
>
> Tell me: how can I ensure the validity of my offer in the
> future, if I'm the sole distributor because my changes were
> not accepted back into the main GCC line, and I get hit by
> a bus?

If you get hit by a bus and die, you are excused from the license
requirements.

Besides, if you were building an embedded system for something like
microwave oven microcontrollers, you're hardly likely to be shipping gcc
itself on the firmware roms, so you wont have to ship the gcc source,
either with the oven or for 3 years.

And if you do ship gcc binaries (modified or not, the requirement is the
same.. you have to make available on request the source, regardless of
whether ftp.gnu.org has a copy etc), then its dead simple to stick a
10-cent cdrom in the back of the manual.  At that point your obligations
are met and finished.

Cheers,
-Peter