Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 11:14:09 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        Server Admin <admin@sage-one.net>, Mike Bertsch <questions@radioactivedata.org>, Mike Dewhirst <Dewhirst.M@UCLES.org.uk>, FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: sendmail version (this *has* to be annoyingly simple)

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Peter Leftwich wrote:

> [1] What is $Z??
> [2] What if the versions are a mismatch?
>
> # echo '$Z' | sendmail -bt -d | egrep '(^Version|^>)'
> Version 8.12.2
> > 8.11.3
>
> [3] My manpage for sendmail does not cover "-bt" - what is it?

Mine does, albeit in brief:

     -bt    Run   in   address  test  mode.   This  mode  reads
              addresses and shows the steps  in  parsing;  it  is
              used for debugging configuration tables.

Bat book has more info (although the second edition is very out-of-date
these days) or sendmail.* for the docs. Basically, you can type in rule
sets and addresses and see the sendmail processing results.

.cf version is here:

# grep ^DZ /etc/mail/sendmail.cf

> In fact, when I telnet localhost 25 I am told that my .cf file is out of
> date, but can't figure out where to turn for a generic one for 8.12.2
>
> P.S. What's the difference between questions@ and freebsd-questions@?

8 characters; apart from that, nothing.

That which does not kill us goes straight to our thighs.