Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 1998 03:02:21 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        "L. Felawka" <felawka@alph04.triumf.ca>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc-2.8.0 (Re: New ports added/updated last two weeks)

> > >   gcc-2.8.0
> > >          Latest and greatest version of the GNU compiler suite
> > >          (potentially buggy)
> >
> > Erm, do have privy to info which would cause you to place a disclaimer
> > on this particular port (probably the only one made for all the 1240
> > ports)?  I mean, the version is 2.8.0 and _not_ 0.0.0.  What gives?
> >
> > I want to upgrade my g++ compiler and you are definitely spooking me.
>
> You should ask the maintainer of the gcc-2.8.0 port,
> who added the warning message 'potentially buggy'.

GCC has a history of releasing point zero releases, and having to follow
them by x.y.{1,x} releases w/in a few weeks.

Also, I didn't build a kernel or anything as elaborate with this version
of GCC.  It handled "Hello World", and I thought others might want to
play with the new version to get a little testing of it before anyone
even conciders bringing it into -CURRENT.

I was interested in the new C++ compiler and it certainly is a new beast.
Much of G++ was rewritten because it was so out-of-date WRT the C++ spec.
So there is mucho new code in there.  Additionally the STL is a much
newer version and your old code maynot compile with it.  In fact the STL
with the new EGCS C++ compiler is useless on FreeBSD -- you can't link if
you use the STL vector class.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)