Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 1999 00:57:21 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Targeting the server: Not such a good idea?

> >         Before I comment on these comments, I believe everyone involved in
> >FreeBSD would love to see FreeBSD be much more comparable to Windows (
> >support, apps, drivers, etc ) in the desktop world.  However being that
> >resources are finite then tough decisions must be made.
>
> It is true that resources are finite. But as FreeBSD grows in applicability,
> the pool of resources available for its development will also expand.

[ ... ]

> I'm reminded of the quote from Richard Bach's "Jonathan Livingston
> Seagull" -- "Argue for your limitations, and you get to keep them."

This is your salient point.

If someone wants to work on something, and you tell them that
that's not where your platform is at, they will go elsewhere.

It is only if someone asks to work on something, and you tell
them "Sure!  Welcome aboard!  The more the merrier!" that you
will attract contributors outside of your preestablished (or
defacto) clique.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---