Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 11:19:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jon Wilson <jon@netcraft.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   questions about dump on live filesystems

Hi folks,

Here is a question regarding the integrity of backups made using dump on
live filesystems (i.e. mounted read-write, machine in multi-user state).

dump does 4 passes: scanning of inodes for directories and files,
archiving of data in those inodes for both directories and files. So
between the scan and the actual transfer of data to (e.g.) tape, there is
a dely, which in a live system the inode could be freed and reused by
another file.

Looking at the code for dump, it appears to notice if an inode is changed
from being a directory to a file, or vice-versa, and does not backup data
from that inode.

My question: what happens if an inode is freed and assigned to a different
file during the dump process? Will I end up with an erroneous bit of data
in my restored file?

Or can I at least rely on dump to leave things in a state such that (for
instance) I will get a valid backup of the file at the next level-$n++
dump? A backup strategy of level-0 multi-user r/w, followed by a level-1
r/o is what I would like to be doing, but various people here have doubts
about this producing valid backups 100% of the time.

Please note that I am a sysadmin and application code developer, with
only basic C knowledge, and not a OS developer, so I may need pointing in
the right direction of the relevant file-system code and/or docs.

Thanks,

Jon

--
Jon Wilson
Netcraft Ltd.                                     Tel: +44 (0)1225 867975