Date:      Sun, 3 Jun 2001 23:39:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chuck Rouillard <chuckr@opus.sandiegoca.ncr.com>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>
Cc:        Chris Herchenrader <chrish@cytcorp.com>, "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Jeannie P (E-mail)" <EUSJLS@am1.ericsson.se>
Subject:   Re: Question About FreeBSD Version 2.2.2 Compatibility

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, Doug Barton wrote:

> Chris Herchenrader wrote:
> >
> > Dear Sir,
> >
> > I am running FreeBSD Version 2.2.2 and I need to buy a new network card for
> > my computer.
>
> 	I don't think you're likely to get an answer, that version of freebsd is
> way too old. You're much better off upgrading to 4.3-Release and checking
> the hardware compatibility list on the website.
[snip]

You *could* grab a copy of the Release Notes for
2.2.2 (http://www.freebsd.org/releases/) and wander
around the NIC section of your favorite hardware
store. There may be some import NICs still using the
DEC-based chip sets. "NE2000 compatible" may also be
lingering about. I believe most of the other cards,
if they're around at all, have changed in ways that
won't work with the 2.2.2 drivers.

.cr