Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 10:07:55 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        "oldfart@gtonet" <oldfart@gtonet.net>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strange messages

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 08:08:45AM -0800, oldfart@gtonet wrote:
> Fair enough, I've blocked ports 111, 1011 + 1022, which seem to be
> portmapper(sunrpc) and rpc.stat according to /etc/services and sockstat
> respectively, at my firewall. If this *is* indeed an attempted exploit I
> *should* be dropping the packets and logging where it came from if it's n=
ot
> spoofed. If I *do* end up with more of those errors then that should prove
> it's *not* an exploit attempt, right?

Blocking port 111 is a good idea, but blocking 1011 and 1022 is
pointless.  RPC services bind to an arbitrary port and then register it
with the portmapper.  There is no way to be sure that a given RPC
service will end up on the same port next time you boot.  It's quite
trivial to probe for RPC services without portmapper's help.  By
blocking portmapper, you will probably avoid the more stupid exploits,
but you may still see errors due to scans after reboot.

-- Brooks

--=20

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP--