Date:      Wed, 3 May 2000 22:35:28 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        "Daniel J. Zaccariello" <marisombra@mindspring.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, John Papalia <john@jpepconsulting.com>, Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com>, smkelly@slashnet.org, insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and IRC

Clarification:
I wrote:
> FWIW: I've never seen this sort of attitude in the linux world.  Sure,
> there are the flamers on Slashdot and so on, but they are mostly kids
> who have no clue and have never actually contributed to linux in the
> first place.  And even they don't often flame "clueless newbies", only
> windows lovers and people like that.  The big difference here is that
> some of the most obnoxious-sounding people on this thread are listed
> as core members, developers and so on.  Hearing such opinions from JKH

I didn't mean to suggest that these people flame clueless newbies.
Merely that they don't seem to think it's important, either from
an advocacy point of view or purely as a social nicety, whether
newbies tend to be flamed in IRC: "it's none of our business".

Whereas the linux community actively makes efforts to encourage
good behaviour among linux users, rather than just saying
"Slashdot is none of our business" or whatever.
Eg    http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Advocacy.html

R.