Date:      Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:44:01 +0100
From:      Franz Klammer <klammer@webonaut.com>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Nautilus 2.5.3

Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

>>>What do you mean?
>>>

>>olala! how i should describe it ... :-\
>>
>>maybe i'm completely wrong but:
>>i mean that i dont't believe that every port listed in
>>/var/db/pkg/<PORT>/+REQUIRED_BY
>>must be rebuild to get everything in sync if <PORT> installes a newer
>>version of a library .
>>
>>it would be easier and faster to sync if i didn't must do a
>>portupgrade -rf <PORT> (or -rf pkgconfig). instead only update also the
>>ports they really need the update to snyc everything.
>>

>When you're talking about something like glib, you need to upgrade all
>the ports in REQUIRED_BY.  If you really wanted to be clever with it,
>though, you could use ldd to see if a certain binary in a certain port
>is linked to a certain library.  If it is, then add that port to the
>upgrade list.

i guess that means no. ;-)
maybe i should change my update frequency from many to a maximum one time
at day and do it in the following steps:

1. get the list of newer ports
2. update theses ports
3. merge the content of the files in REQUIRED_BY of all updatet ports
4. rebuild the ports in the list.

maybe also with a no-auto-update list with not so important/often needed
ports.
this ports will be listet on a should-be-updated.log

if i have enough time i will look at this next week and if it useable i
send it
to the list.

franz.

--