Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 1996 22:19:54 +0100 (MET)
From:      Willem Jan  Withagen <wjw@surf.iaehv.nl>
To:        stefan@exis.net (Stefan Molnar)
Cc:        ejs@bfd.com, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 10Mb/100Mb switches

You ( Stefan Molnar ) write:
=>  We overloaded ours with 9 PM2e It could not handel the RIP.  How are
=>  you going to string them together?  The high end synoptics/Bay network
=>  ones that we have use a 2GigaBit SCSI backplane.  It is full dulplex
=>  100MB so it runs very sweet.

Well you've struck the mail on the head. Our segment currently has 7 PM's
and is going to get this new great PM3 box with 60*64Kb ISDN on it.
And I forsee a serious load, but the problem with switching is the outlet.
Switching is effective when there is a lot of communication between many
different partners on the switch. PM's usually tend to talk to the router to
get the traffic out. So this will need to be a 100Mb interface.

Question is how dit you find out that the RIP's were killing you?
Guess you are doing static IP per account, where we are using static IP's
per port. We're using FreeBSD as router, and the interrupt-load does not
suggest that it is a very stressed segment.

--WjW

--
Internet Access Eindhoven BV.,  voice: +31-40-2438330, data: +31-40-2439436
P.O. 928, 5600 AX Eindhoven, The Netherlands