Date:      Tue, 22 Nov 2011 08:05:42 +0100
From:      Martin Sugioarto <martin@sugioarto.com>
To:        David Cornejo <dave@dogwood.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/home vs /home

--Sig_/79_PxkfhD+UGFOCgIQeEu1G

Am Mon, 21 Nov 2011 13:15:36 -1000
schrieb David Cornejo <dave@dogwood.com>:

> I've always liked the more succinct /home and was wondering if there
> is any reason why not to delete the symlink and move home to / to
> mimic the old many partition style?

Hi David,

I like the idea of having /usr/home better, because if you don't want
to have a separate partition for homes, you would at least have a huge
partition (/usr) and won't run out of space quickly. If you
create /home, you'll assign the rootfs space to users without a home
partitions and rootfs is typically small.

FreeBSD is totally fine with /home mountpoint. It won't work
differently.

I consider the installer procedure as a quick way to install FreeBSD.
It is for people who want to try something. And you don't want to have
all these "help! my rootfs is full!" support questions and explain the
same thing over and over again.

I think, I'm not alone when I say that I prepare the disks myself
instead of using the installer. I don't even know if the new installer
will be capable of installing FreeBSD like I have it installed now.

--
Martin