Date:      Wed, 2 Mar 2005 09:42:05 -0600
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@ub.edu.bz>
To:        Gerald Lightsey <glightsey1@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What am I doing wrong with MOUNT?

--QQNwO3VdVfodZayb

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 01:42:40AM -0800, Gerald Lightsey wrote:
> Nathan Kinkade said...
> > Here is quick rundown on how you could achieve your goal:
> >=20
> > 1) Mount the new disk at at /mnt with something like:
> > 	# mount /dev/ad1s1a /mnt
> > 2) Copy everything from your original /var partition to the new one:
> > 	# cd /var && tar cf - ./ | (cd /mnt && tar xvpf -)
> > 3) Edit /etc/fstab from something like:
> > 	/dev/ad0s1e		/var	ufs		defaults
> 1 2
> > 	to:
> > 	/dev/ad1s1a		/var	ufs		defaults
> 1 2
> > 4) Unmount old partition from /var and mount new one at /var:
> > 	# umount /var && mount /var
> >=20
> > Also, you may want to reallocate the partition formerly mounted at /var
> for something else?
>=20
> Your advice was right on thank you very much.  Actually step #4 was
> automatically handled by step #3.
>=20
> Regarding reallocation of space formerly occupied by /var on /dev/ad0s2d,=
 is
> there a way to reallocate it back to one of the other existing partitions=
 or
> do you mean only to use it as is for something else?
>=20
> Gerald

I was actually suggesting that you could just mount the old partition at
another mount point, but I suppose there is the possibility to have the
old partition swallowed up by the one directly proceeding it on the
physical disk.  I have never done it and I don't know anything about it,
but there is a utility called growfs(8) that might be of use.

Nathan

--QQNwO3VdVfodZayb

--QQNwO3VdVfodZayb--