Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 2000 01:40:06 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        "Leonard C." <leonardc9@usa.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS export problems

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 08:19:27PM -0800, Leonard C. wrote:
> I'm trying to NFS export some of my directories to do an installworld on a
> second machine.
>
> However, when I HUP mountd, it reports in syslog:
>
> Dec 15 20:09:53 chung mountd[122]: can't change attributes for /usr/obj
> Dec 15 20:09:53 chung mountd[122]: bad exports list line /usr/obj   -maproot
> Dec 15 20:09:53 chung mountd[122]: can't change attributes for /usr/ports
> Dec 15 20:09:53 chung mountd[122]: bad exports list line /usr/ports -maproot
>

> I can't mount any of those directories.
>
> Here's my exports file:
>
> chung# more /etc/exports
> /usr/src   -maproot=0 guest1
> /usr/obj   -maproot=0 guest1
> /usr/ports -maproot=0 guest1
>
> chung# mount
> /dev/wd0a on / (ufs, NFS exported, local)
> /dev/wd1e on /disks/1 (ufs, local)
> /dev/wd2e on /disks/2 (ufs, local)
> /dev/wcd0c on /usr/local/www/data/mp3/cd5 (cd9660, local, read-only)
> procfs on /proc (procfs, local)
>
> Anybody have any ideas on what's going on?

You know, I think this is a record. It has been at least two or three
months since I have answered this one. Now there probably will be four
within a week.

Let's read the exports(5) manpage very carefully,

    "Each line in the file (other than comment lines that begin with a #)
     specifies the mount point(s) and export flags within one local server
     filesystem for one or more hosts.  A host may be specified only once for
     each local filesystem on the server..."

OK? You just specified the same filesystem to be exported to a single
host on _three_ lines. As you saw, it does not like that. You want to
say,

  /usr/src /usr/obj /usr/ports -maproot=0 guest1

And all should be well.