Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 2003 09:06:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
To:        paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: recording audio with SoundBlaster Live/pcm cards: has anyone tried this?

On Wed, 1 Jan 2003, paul beard wrote:

> Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 21:49:04 -0800
> From: paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: recording audio with SoundBlaster Live/pcm cards: has anyone
>     tried this?
>
> I have been working on recording vinyl LPs to digital files but
> have run into a problem. It turns out I misread the cryptic runes
> on the back of the sound card and was actually recording through
> the mic jack. It worked as far as I could tell -- I got sound --
> but I now have audio that sounds suspiciously like mono.
>
> So after tracking down the manual for the card (an SB Live! Gamer
> or Platinum w/o the Live drive), I am now using the line in and
> running the audio through an stereo receiver. But now nothing
> registers on the level indicators in gramofile.
>
> According to Creative's open source site, audio in and out is
> supported, but there's "supported" and "proven to work." Anyone
> have any experience with this or troubleshooting ideas I should be
> aware of?
>
> --
> Paul Beard: seeking UNIX/internet engineering work
> <http://paulbeard.no-ip.org/paulbeard.html>;
> 8040 27th Ave NE Seattle WA 98115 / 206 529 8400

I do a *lot* of recording with my SBLive! card and FreeBSD. It's all
guitar and drum machine through a 4-track, plugged into my sound card. The
trick with the line-in (at least on my rig) was that the input volume on
that channel was zero by default. I use the 4-track to do a little pre-mix
before recording.

I found that if I pull up an audio mixer (kmix, since I use KDE) I can
bring the level up on line-in just fine. However, I have found that for
certain tracks the mic input is better, although I have to bring the input
gain down with kmix. Also, if you need to 'clean up' your recordings to
get the 'eggs-frying' noise out of the mix (all my vinyl has it :),
Audacity has great noise filters and it's in the ports collection.

HTH - JB

PS: If you want to carry on this discussion and feel it too off-topic,
feel free to contact me off-list.

#  John Bleichert
#  http://vonbek.dhs.org/latest.jpg