Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 11:39:06 -1000 (HST)
From:      "David Langford" <langfod@dihelix.com>
To:        jsuter@uranus.intrastar.net
Cc:        jfarmer@sabre.goldsword.com, rewt@i-Plus.net, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, jfarmer@goldsword.com
Subject:   Re: Digital Modem choices

Jacob Suter
>> vendor (Phylon Tech.  at http://www.phylon.com/) looking for help in
>> writing & testing FreeBSD drivers for their cards.  Currently they have
>> W*nNT support.  From the looks of it, it (as well as other vendors cards)
>
>> use the MVIP bus (as used in voice-mail pc's, Computer based Telephony
>> apps, etc.) to tie things together.  But it looks like it's is/will be
>> possible to buy/build your own "ascend" replacement soon using FreeBSD...
>
>But the issue is, would you want your FreeBSD box to catch on fire like
>Ascends like to do?
>
>I've heard stories of several charred Ascend boxes...  And if you can't
>afford a PM3, you just got no excuse to be an ISP (IMHO).
>JS

This has many other uses than ISP areas. From corparate to call center
to fax brodcasting to BBS or service dial-up.

Our local Real Estate MLS uses an Ascend with PRI to handle their agents
to call up and get MLS info. They are not an ISP but this type of product could
be usefull.

Please dont dismiss someones ideas or products just because it doesnt fit
YOUR niche (and YES the ISP market is actually a small niche.

-David Langford (happy user of Ascend MAX 4004's)