Date:      Sun, 18 Jan 1998 13:00:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Zula <zula@fireball.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Named Problems.

On Sun, 18 Jan 1998, Zula wrote:
> named is starting at bootup.. but if I try to reload it... it does not
> restart. in the /var/log/messages file I get this error.
>
> distance namedb[87]: reloading nameserver
> distance namedb[87]: fcntl(dfd, F_DUPFD, 20): Too many open files -exiting
> last message repeated 15 times
> distance namedb[87]: socket(SOCK_DGRAM): Too many open -exiting
> --------
> I am just running httpd and sendmail nothing strange. on a P100 32m

You must be starting named before you ifconfig all of your virtual
hosts.  That's why it works at startup.

Later when you reload it it will try to listen on every interface
you have, meaning  all your virtuals too.

Not sure if you can deal with this in 4.9.x but in 8.1.x there is
an option

options {
	listen-on 123.123.123.123;
	.
	.
}

that will fix this.  You'll need to convert your named.boot file
to the new named.conf format but a utility is included that
does a good job of this.

You're going to need to switch to 8.1.x sooner or later so this
is probably a good reason to do it.  Compiles out of the box
on 2.2.x FBSD.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  714 443 4172
 DPC Systems / Beach.Net                                    dan@dpcsys.com