Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 11:12:17 -0400
From:      caffeine <caffeinex2@monmouth.com>
To:        PhazeCA@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internet trouble

PhazeCA@aol.com wrote:

> Every time I try to use the PPP Dialup Utility, when I am in xinit, it says
> "The pppd daemon did unexpectedly."  What is the problem?  Is there something
> I need to configure or what?  I've read all of the faq's but I can't find out
> what to do.  I wanted to connect to earthlink, how can I do that?
>
>                                             Thanks for your time.

K.....i had this same problem once....try running the dialup utility as
root..the first time i tried to connect bsd to the net i tried to use
kppp as my user and i recieved those same error messages. I did it as
root and it worked fine. Also i believe that the login is a little wierd
for earthlink its something like ELN/username or suttin. i know you have
to add something before your username when u login using ppp. check with
earthlink.

-caffeine
http://www.monmouth.com/~caffeinex2