Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 1998 15:13:13 +0100 (CET)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Splash screen (splashkit) for 3.0 systems...

According to Mike Smith:
> That'd be pretty straightforward; I'd suggest an rc.conf option to
> change the "running" splash, either "NO" (do nothing), "CLEAR" (remove
> the splash) or the path of a new splash to put up once the system was
> up.

Splash will start if there is a /boot.splash (or whatever.. I'd like all those
things in /boot/ (splash, config, etc))? And if not, it will boot like it does
now, with text? Ok... so then when we get to the rc scripts you can set an
option to something. Well... How about this instead? Make a screen saver
that displays a splash screen image, and simply make syscons "timeout"
instantly. That could be nice for any screensaver, so it would be more general.
Something like:

blanktime="300"
saver="splash"
saver_instant_boot_timeout="YES"

And make the splash screensaver use something like "/etc/splash-image"
and "/etc/splash-logged-in-image" depending on if there is someone logged
in or if getty is running. Would that be possible? I think that would be way
cool. And at the same time, seems more versatile.

> It is already; any VT switch will clear the splash, and there's a
> keymap token for toggling it back.  I was considering the "window" key,
> actually, although that leaves out a lot of people with older
> keyboards...

So? It could easilly be added on SHIFT-ESC or something also, ofcourse.
It's not like it's an essential function. :-)

  /Mikael