Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 1999 19:59:06 +0200
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a desirable fetaure: syscons reset utility

Mike Smith wrote:

> > This is very interesting. Then, the conclusion is that this problem
> > should be redirected to the XFree86 people: perhaps, they could write
> > a utility (probably adapted to each Xserver) that restores the [S]VGA
> > registers.
>
> Perhaps it would be better for the XFree86 people to concentrate on not
> having their servers crash at all?  Your proposal seems like such a
> waste of time.  8(

Xservers are *very* complex. Sure, it would be better to have Perfect
Xservers thar never crash. Maybe, this goal will be achieved.
I don't think so, because new graphic cards will be always appearing,
having an initial unstable support by the XFree86 servers. While waiting
for that Happy Day of the Perfect Xservers, these will be crashing.

> (It's also still clear that you don't understand the situation; please
>  stop irritating those of us that do and take our word for it - what you
>  want is simply not achievable.)

I *understand* the situation: I *understand* that you have a
natural tendency towards irritation. And I *understand* (after the
clear explanation of the VGA register trouble by Kazu) that this
problem cannot be solved in the syscons/vga driver, so I DON'T WANT
THAT, OK? I only asked for that type of solution in my _first_ message.
Please, the next time that you want to suggest (or affirm) that someone
is an ignorant or even an idiot, read the messages from that person
again and think about it twice. Thanks.

-- JMA
José Mª Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del País Vasco              | mailto:jmas@FreeBSD.org
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electrónica     | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-946012479
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-946013071