Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 09:42:31 -0500
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   call for testers: nsswitch + dynamic linking

[Please follow-up to only one list]

Hello,

I need more testers for the following!

nsswitch extends the C library so that arbitrary sources may be
consulted by database routines such as getpwent, gethostbyname, and so
on.  This implementation was based on NetBSD's implementation.  I have
enhanced it to make the interfaces thread safe, and to provide support
for dynamically loaded nsswitch modules.

Patches for 4-STABLE and 5-CURRENT are at:
  http://www.nectar.com/freebsd/nsswitch.
Also available there are patches for PADL.COM's nss_ldap so that it may
be used with FreeBSD.

Incidentally this also adds reentrant versions of common routines such
as getpwnam_r.  Note that routines that eventually call the resolver are
only as thread safe as the resolver -- i.e. not really.

Please contact me with any comments/bugs/patches.

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org