Date:      Sat, 9 Dec 2000 12:03:57 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Weird /tmp issues

Ryan Thompson (ryan@sasknow.com) wrote:

> What errors are you receiving when you start X?  You DID go into
> single-user mode to move /tmp, right?  I have never heard of so many
> problems moving /tmp, and, frankly, there shouldn't be.  I've done it
> myself many a time on busy systems and X workstations.... And 90% of my
> machines put /tmp on MFS anyway... so it's cleared on reboot. (Like that
> ever happens :-)  The other 10% symlink it to /var/tmp, and no machines
> have ever had any problems, beyond the occasional large email attachment
> filling a sometimes small MFS partition. :-)

Okay. My /tmp issue was a red herring. Indeed I could not copy tmp
to another filesystem because /tmp contained numerous unix domain
sockets (possibly stale? I don't yet understand sockets) put there
by XFree86.

rm -R /tmp worked fine, however. /tmp now lives elsewhere.

My X problems are apparently related to /tmp, but also to the fact I
made world without specifying NO_X=true. (I was running XFree86-4)
Reinstalling XFree86-4 fixed everything.

My first "make world" has revealed many interesting FreeBSD discoveries.
I'm not sure I have any additional functionality, but I have learned a
*lot* more about FreeBSD.

Thanks, freebsd-questions!

--
Christopher Farley
Northern Brewer / 1150 Grand Avenue / St. Paul, MN 55105