Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 2003 21:01:38 +0100
From:      "Stacy Olivas" <olivas@digiflux.org>
To:        "'Anthony C. Chavez'" <acc@anthonychavez.org>, "'Eric Anderson'" <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-advocacy'" <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Indecisiveness and Domain registrations

> On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 11:29:29AM -0600, Eric Anderson
> <anderson@centtech.com> wrote:
> > Anthony C. Chavez wrote:
> > >Now, not to discourage you, but I think you should know
> that hosting
> > >news about BSD-related advocacy events would be a natural
> extension for
> > >Daemon News as well.  Having bsdevents could have the
> benefit of some
> > >good, healthy competition, so I'm not opposed to it.
> >
> > bsdevents.org is not a "news" site like daemonnews. It is
> for all *BSD
> > related events that are happening around  the world, and would have
> > areas to sign up to offer help for those events, and post pictures,
> > dates and times of the upcoming events, etc.
>
> All right, I must have had my wires crossed.  I stand corrected.
>
> > >However, it is my intention to put together a "to do" list for
> > >advocacy.daemonnews.org of our own, perhaps borrowing a lot of the
> > >points from the list that was submitted to freebsd-advocacy.
> >
> > Sounds like you are duplicating work here, but makes no
> difference to
> > me.  I'm specifically talking about deadlines for the
> official -advocacy
> > group, not for daemonnews.  I'm just saying the person who "leads"
> > should also be able to set some goals.  No one here is
> going to quit
> > their jobs to work full time on freebsd advocacy, and
> having a goal is
> > far from asking that.

I've offered myself up as a leader for this project..  I agree that there
*SHOULD* be some
deadlines set, otherwise the "oh, that's going to be done tomorrow" syndrome
will set in and
NOTHING will get done.

As far as quitting my job, that isn't likely to happen anytime soon (since
my contract don't
run out anytime soon)..  Don't worry though, work won't be an issue..

I propose something along the lines of this (after all, we will be dealing
with the
media, and they like to see people in charge, with titles, etc..  it gives
them a big
warm fuzzy feeling when they can "cut the crap" and go right to the top of
the "food chain")..

The FreeBSD Advocacy group should be structured as follows:

A core team consisting of not less than 4 people, with at least one person
as the overall "head".  The core
team will be the ones who set the goals, coordinate press releases, etc..
(each member will have a vote on
what direction things will go in).  The "head" of the team will have an
equal vote on issues, but they will
also be able to take the initiative and have the ability to "push" things in
a given direction (helps
keep from forming a deadlock).

Using the four person minimum as the base model, each member of the core
team will have specific
responsibilities to towards the adovcacy project.  They are divided as
follows (to borrow some stuff from
Anthony's post on lead times, etc):

Team head:
	Overall project management/Primary POC
	Primary advocacy responsibilities:
		Onlines/Slashdot

Core team member #1:
	In charge of recruting/providing assistance (direction) to new advocates
	Primary advocacy responsibilities:
		Magazines

Core team member #2:
	In charge of
	Primary advocacy responsibilities:
		Newspapers

Core team member #3:
	In charge of
	Primary advocacy responsibilities:
		Trade rags

Each core team member will have the authority to speak on behalf of the
project itself and act as an
official representative for the project (and FreeBSD).  They will also have
the authority to
delegate responsibility to people volunteering to work on the advocacy
project (but it does not
alleviate them of being overall responsible for what they have delegated..
So, if someone drops the ball..)

New core team members can be added ONLY if there is an unanimous vote from
all current core team members.

This is just an idea.. But I think it's a good starting point on how this
should be structured.  In the end,
whatever is decided upon needs to have the blessing of the FreeBSD core team
and an official charter should
be done laying down the guidelines for this project..  After all, who wants
JSTR (Joe **it the ragman) to be
the PR guy for something that you have worked on..  It will also help keep
any possible abuses from happening
and hopefully quell any arguments that arise.

Just my 2 cents.

> Okay, then, we'll just keep one "to do" list.  It'd probably
> make things
> easier that way, anyway.
>
> > >I've stepped forth to lead the charge to address the lack
> of advocacy
> > >materials---something I've wanted to do for ~years~ now,
> which is why I
> > >feel I should be the one to lead it.  I realize that it
> will be time
> > >consuming, and again, I cannot commit to deadlines.  I can promise,
> > >however, that it will be done.  I can't let things sit
> idly by and rot
> > >away (unless of course it's my personal Web site). :-)
> >
> > This is my point exactly - you've wanted to do it for
> years, and never
> > done it - no big deal, but not a good start for a leader
> who doesn't
> > want any deadlines for goals.  Deadlines don't mean anyone
> will end up
> > dead or fired, they just help keep people focused..
>
> Good point.  One for which I don't really have a defense, except the
> fact that I'm now in a position where I could actually get something
> done.

At the risk of sounding like a Usenet troll, "Mee Tooo!!"..

> > Oh well, not for me to decide, I'll just go back to -doc
> work and -www work.
>
> Sure it is.  It's for all of us to decide.
>

> It doesn't matter to me what direction this moves.  I just
> thought that
> I'd step forward and volunteer.  If you would rather be our fearless
> leader, Eric, then again, you're more than welcome to do it.

This almost sounds like sarcasm.. I may be wrong, and apologize if I am..

Please, let's make sure that we don't have this degenerate into something
ugly.. This will only turn
everyone off to this idea.

<snip>

-Stacy