Date:      Fri, 1 Feb 2002 05:30:52 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        FreeBSD List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Moving a system from IDE --> SCSI

Hello,
(One for you Edwin ?)
My FreeBSD system is nicely ensconced on an IDE drive.
I have enough space now to move it to a SCSI drive on
the same machine.
The SCSI drive has one small linux /boot partition, where
I use Lilo to set up booting, I do not want to change this.

I don't see any problem with just putting some BSD partitioning
on the SCSI drive and moving stuff over, except I am sitting here
thinking about the root slice.
What do you think of this .. as step 1.
I create a BSD partition on the SCSI disk and copy over my
IDE root partition. Adjust the name of the root partition to
reflect the SCSI device, remake Lilo with an entry for the BSD
system on the new partition and try and boot Generic.
I leave the current IDE root in place of course, so I will not be
left stranded.
Is there a flaw in this plan ?
If it works I can then transfer over the rest of the BSD system
at leisure.
Any comments ?

(I want to leave the Linux boot partition and use Lilo because I
know Lilo backwards, and am not very comfortable with the FreeBSD
booter .. on this particular machine there is also a Windows system
for the usual reason (son plays games).
Comments ?

--
Regards