Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 2010 10:07:28 +1100
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jorge Biquez <jbiquez@icsmx.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Development interface and editor

--b0op/nKJ9CeIhp9z

On Wednesday, 31 March 2010 at 13:36:02 -0600, Jorge Biquez wrote:
> Hello all.
> This not only FreeBsd related so I decided to post it here.
>
> - Can you comment about what GUI interface do you use (if any) for
> PHP Development?

For a lot of us, the terms "GUI" and "editor" are mutually exclusive.
You need to be able to type in an editor.

> - Can you comment on what editor do you use for PHP development?
> (yes i know is a matter of what you like but since I do not use any
> other that simple notepad looking for better options).

I use Emacs.  In a deviation from the typical editor wars scenario, I
find it seriously suboptimal for PHP (or any other mixed-syntax
language), since it can't tell what's HTML and what's PHP.  I'm told
that vi does better here, but I've been using Emacs for 30 years, and
my fingers are conditioned to it.  If you're new to editors, I'd
recommend that you find one editor that you can do everything with.
For me, that would still be Emacs, despite the problems with PHP.  It
does fine as long as there's no HTML in there.

> Another told me to get anold product for developing web pages that
> has its own editor and ready for php. The advantage is that has
> syntax checking and a help included with php syntax uses, examples,
> etc.

The disadvantage is that you probably can't use it for much else.

Greg
This message is digitally signed.  If your Microsoft MUA reports
problems, please read http://tinyurl.com/broken-mua

--b0op/nKJ9CeIhp9z

--b0op/nKJ9CeIhp9z--