Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 19:47:43 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        "Jon O." <jono@microshaft.org>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD benchmark question

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> Another significant issue if you are using IDE disk is write cache. It
> is currently turned off by default to prevent possible data loss. You
> might want to test with it on (or turn it off in Linux, if you can).

The way Jon O. described the run ("genetic searches"), it sounded
like it wasn't doing much writing to the disk, so write cache,
softupdates, etc. will do little help if it's just reading data
from a disk.  It sounded like it was I/O bound and profited from a
large disk cache (read "reading from disk".)  I'm pretty sure Linux
caches directory entries but FreeBSD doesn't by default.  Be sure
you have:

  sysctl -w vfs.vmiodirenable=1

enabled.  There was some debate about whether or not this should be
turned on by default, and the general consensus was that it should.

With vmiodirenable your disk cache will work Just Like Linux.  ;-)

-Paul.