Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2001 13:17:52 -0400
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
Cc:        Keith Bostic <bostic@sleepycat.com>, karels@bsdi.com, arch@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nvi maintainer?

Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 09:18:26PM -0400, Keith Bostic wrote:
> >
> > I think that FreeBSD should leave DB 1.85 in the C library, and
> > when (if?) nvi finally upgrades to DB 3, simply load nvi & DB 3
> > as a single executable and ship it that way.  Problem solved.  :-)
>
> I think most people have dropped out of the conversation at this point,
> having realized that your above suggestion is a perfectly acceptable way of
> proceeding.
>
> Let the editor wars[*] continue.
>
> Jason
>
> [*]: Emacs does the dishes for you!

Let's just plan on doing that, then.  It wasn't said that libc HAD to
contain a new version of DB, since nvi will, when it depends on DB3, be
using the new interface anyway.  So that leaves us with the situation that
we have the same old DB in libc, plus all the bugfixes for it we accumulate
(because it's certainly true that we are continuing to maintain it to this
day), so noone is surprised there, and adding DB3 to our libraries,
separately.

The sheer number of people that would hate any switch in the base system's
vi to another that didn't work in exactly the same way is much larger than
anyone likely can estimate.